Friday, September 10, 2010

The best cheat sheet for buying lamps.


Here in the elbow of the world, otherwise known as Nashville, Tennessee, lamp stores are hard to come by. We have some great stores like Graham's lighting, and Lumen Lamps, but our lamp stores are few and far between. That is one of the reasons I go to Market so many times a year, to see trends, and  FIND resources.

Everything I purchase, whether for me or a client, I always approach with my first motto, GO BIG OR GO HOME. Now I am sure my inbox will be chalked full of discontent, but I don't subscribe to short squatty lamps. (Not. Gonna. Do. It.) Isn't the whole point of a lamp to SEE things? I would rather SEE the cocktail table before it bites me and leaves me with a big red toe; BEFORE I walk into it. But hey, who am I to say that short squatty lamps are pointless....Gaaa! ok I am going to say it, "Short squatty lamps are pointless!"

If you missed my post on how to select the right lamp, I would highly recommend you read it. This post is an excellent guideline to follow when searching for a lamp, and how to shop effectively to get the results you want, and the light you need. Also, many consumers like to have options and as a result many manufacturers sell lamp bases and shades separately to give you choices. As good as options and choices are, the manufacturer suddenly turned purchasing a lamp into rocket science. If you would like to skip the aero physics degree I would recommend you read How to select the right lamp shade to help you get through the mud of buying a lamp and shade separately.

In my opinion lamps are like cars,.... f-a-n-c-y cars! And I have a theory on purchasing a fancy, expensive car. If you are going to be extravagant and throw a ridiculous amount of money at a car, 
GO BIG OR GO HOME! For example, I have a client that waited six months for a special Mercedes that came from over seas. He went on and on, AND on about how fabulous this thing was and all the features. He almost had me convinced that I needed to rob a bank, and sell my right kidney to get one. Finally, the day came and it arrived, and I ran out side to see a big white car that looked like my assistants KIA. In fact, I mistakenly walked to her car! YIKES!! 
Really, I thought? You spent the equivalent of my lifes income on one vehicle and you got WHITE. I'm sorry, but if you are going to buy a big fancy car, buy a big fancy car with the paint job to show it off. If that wasn't your point in the first place (to show it off) you would not have purchased it in the first place. (and waited six months for it!) A nice white KIA would do. The same goes for lamps. I believe that lamps are like jewelry and they should be shown off. Keep them big, and find lamps that are unique, exotic or have fancy paint jobs. Make them as unique and special as possible! Vroom, Vroom.


Lamps are special accessories. Not only can they provide light so you can SEE, ( so you don't end up with a red toe) but they are jewelry to your home. Make it count. A special lamp gives you wow factor, and helps you achieve a well appointed home. Always keep your lamps tall, and buy quality. Ever wonder the difference between one lamp and another? Ever wonder why a lamp at Target costs $100, and a boutique lamp costs $500? There are many factors, and just like linens buy the BEST you can afford. Factors that can affect price can vary a lot, but typically it is the way they have been wired, how they were made, and the material that is used. 
So now that you know what to look for, and how to buy, where can you find the best lamps? I have listed a few of my favorites above with attached links, and here are a few more of AB HOME's trusted list of lamps that we would rob a bank and sell our right kidney for:





Keep a binder or notepad with you at all times that is small but easy to find. Keep dimensions, and lamp needs handy so you know what you are looking for. Keep in mind the scale of the room, and furniture the lamp will be used on. Try to have a lamp in mind that you are looking for, but don't set your sights so high that you spend a year looking for something that doesn't exist. And don't overlook other great styles that could work even better. GO BIG OR GO HOME should be at the front of your mind. Look for unique styles, fancy paint jobs, and if you would rob a bank and sell your right kidney for it, I'd say it is the perfect lamp!!


Don't forget to follow us on twitter!

And become a FAN on our AB HOME facebook fanpage!

AB HOME is offering FREE Holiday Decorating classes in October
contact us to sign up!






Need design help from an experienced design professional with over 12 years experience? Want to work with someone who listens to your needs and sticks to your budget? Call our office for a design consultation that will change the way you live and think about your home. Contact us @ info@abhomeinteriors.com or call us @ 
615-750-2763

Like decorating but don't know where to start? Want to learn the insiders secrets, tips and tricks? Sign up for Design Strategies 101(Sign up today to reserve your seat.  September is SOLD OUT!! Reserve your seat for October!)




23 comments:

  1. Haha, I love the short squatty lamp bit - hear hear! Thanks so much for the awesome tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your choices here! The Robert Abbey and the Arteriors one...oh my...gorgeous! (and too funny about the white car...completely agree!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you from the bottom of my lamp-loving heart! I am obsessed with them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Amanda! I agree that buying a good lamp is important. They CAN make or break a room.
    Have a nice day.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a squatty lamp lover either, Amanda. I like my lamps high, with the shade above my head when I'm sitting down. I find it easier to read. I might go small if it is working as a night light type of thing in a bathroom or the corner of a kitchen counter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! Even though I own 2 squatty lamps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love lamps and am in the process of replacing one that looks kind of serious in our room....I love your choices! I must study this carefully now. Have a great weekend Amanda! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my favorite post that I have read from you! LOVED it!! That Robert Abbey lamp is calling my name...or my kidney.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You rock! So do all these lamps. I honestly can't even choose which one takes the cake. Thanks for shedding light on what most people wouldn't take the time to hear or figure out :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great thoughts & images Amanda!! I have a lamp to be replaced and you have really given me some reasons to find just the right one!!

    I have a New Giveaway from the French Basketeer that I think you will love!

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great info and normally I agree with everything you say (well maybe not everything) but I must say that when it comes to lamps I say yuck. I am drawn to the small squatty lamps. to me lamps are large, bulky, have electrical cords and metal things hanging all around. They are an evil necessity even though they can be very interesting and beautiful by themselves. I know, it's just me. Again, great info.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diane
    I disagree! Lamps are not bulky. They can be beautiful tall works of art that provide light. And yes electrical cords can be tedious and yucky, but there is a company called designer cords that makes them very attractive AND some companies like Barbara Cosgrove include the cord as a part of the design and actually highlight it! Quite fabulous, you just need a little designer help to tweak your thinking on them, and I will try to tweak my thinking on squatty lamps...

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi amanda! thanks for your tips. good to know there are companies making some attractive cords that will compliment rather than work agaisnt the look one is going for. hope you are having a great weekend! verbena cottage

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great post filled with wonderful advise! I absolutely adore that Arteriors lamp. I'm so happy you found my blog, which has enabled me to find YOU. I'm loving everything I see! Can't wait to read more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun blog.I am in desperate need of lamps in my LR but just cannot decide on what style I want.Your business looks to be wonderful too. Thanks for your kind comments recently. I look fwd to returning and seeing more wonderful posts to help me with my home. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great round-up of lamp-buying tips and pictures. I love the shape of the Shine Everyday lamp, and the shade on the Jamie Young lamp is beautiful.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic tips:D
    And That hot pink lamp would be my pick if I didn't have two boys in the home!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm waiting for the days that I can invest in a lamp without worrying about the dude knocking it over! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow,lamps are really nice and the blog is too informative thanks a lot for wonderful advice hats off

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so timely for us! We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel and are trying to figure out Under Cabinet Lighting. I love them and they are cheap!Looks SO warm and inviting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Louis Vuitton Wallets online is particularly suitable Louis Vuitton sale online for perfect styles football news with the most Jews information modern elements into basketball information this season Viele Blumen der Welt capable of exotic Somalische Piraten leather, but still Schildkröte shows elegance. What Osama bin Laden is more, buckles Panda and rivets the football news gold shiny and constellation glamorous accent Cheap dress and a distinctive scarf appearance. Another one navy for the well-liked pieces shock as to could be the cheap Louis Vuitton Leather hobo baggage.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These days every lams is called special but this really can be called special due to it's design and advanced functionality

    ReplyDelete