Wednesday, September 22, 2010

7 ways to simplify your life with Vodka

Ah, Vodka,.. so many memories I have with this marvelous substance. Ok, so I know what your thinking. Either this is going to be really good, or this conversation is about to head South really quick! But aside from drinking it, vodka actually has many other uses and it is a surprisingly simple substance. Made from a primary ingredient of either grain, rye, wheat, potatoes, or sugar beet and combined with yeast to generate alcohol. After distillation, Vodka is almost pure ethyl alcohol, watered down before bottling for easy consumption. Yummmm!




Each one of us leads a hectic life. As I read your comments about making life easier I realized how all of us could use more simplicity in our lives. So what is the solution? It's called Vodka. And I am not saying that drinking yourself silly is the answer, although if you feel that today of all days a quick slurp, or a large gulp of the good stuff will calm your nerves, by all means I won't step in your way.


You all know that vodka is my drink of choice. A good dirty martini, with blue cheese olives just sings in my ears after a long day at work. But did you know that this magic juice is also quite nifty as a multi-tasker around the house? Now my hardest decision is whether to drink it, or put it hard to work! Or maybe I just do both!


1) Freshen Laundry- Don't have time to wash your favorite shirt before you head out of the house? Put some vodka in a spritz bottle and lightly spray down your garment. (do a spot test first before you go wild) Vodka kills odor-causing bacteria, but dries without any scent of alcohol.
2) Shine up your bling-Tired of looking at your dull chrome fixtures in the kitchen and bath? Put a generous amount of the spirit onto a rag, mix with a little elbow grease and voila! Bright shiny fixtures!


3) General cleaning agent- Green house cleaning has never been so fun! Slurp...Using harsh chemicals around the house is not only dangerous to kids and pets, but harmful to our environment. As we wash those chemicals down the drain they get into our water systems, and effect our ecosystem. Replace them with an inexpensive Vodka from the liqueur store. Vodka is the most versatile cleaner you can have around the house. It disinfects, cleans, deodorizes and shines up glass, porcelain, and chrome beautifully. 


4) Freshen flowers- To increase the life of your floral arrangement add a few drops of Vodka to the water with a few teaspoons of sugar. 


5) Remove ink and paint-use an undiluted solution of pure unflavored vodka to remove ink and paint from clothing. After spritzing the solution onto the garment let sit for a minute and simply dab and blot the stain out.


6) Pet odors-Nike had a bit of an issue relieving himself on the carpet whenever he wanted me to know he was mad for what I had done...which was??? Anyways, he was mad at me and I had to clean the madness out of the carpet so he wouldn't be tempted to do it again.I would always clean the carpet and spray Vodka on the stain to remove the odors.


"I don't have any idea what your talking about
I never did it, no one saw me do it."


7) Kills mold-Have mold in your shower, and in your grout? Use straight vodka as a tile grout cleaner to kill mold and mildew. Spray onto the affected areas and let sit for 10 minutes, and then wipe off.


Hope all of you have a blissful day! Find one thing today that you are grateful for and be thankful for your blessings. And if all else fails get out the Vodka and....clean!

Don't forget to follow us on twitter!

And become a FAN on our AB HOME facebook fanpage!

24 comments:

  1. That settles it! I'm out to get my bottle. Now which vodka did you say tastes, I meant works the best?
    Love this post, as I have used vodka before, and by the way, it makes a wonderful scented ironing and linen spray with added fragrance oils.
    Have a nice day, Amanda.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the most marvelous thing! 7 more reasons to love vodka (and I had NO idea about these extra lovely uses!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have me convinced...I am going to start spraying Vodka on a lot of things now! : ) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knew?!!!! Have you tried Tito Vodka yet? I've never been partial to the type of vodka until now. Try it - it's divine! And that's just for drinking. I'm sure it's amazing as a cleaning agent too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that Vodka can simplify my life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Vodka is the ultimate answer.
    cheers
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who knew Vodka could do more than make you drunk? Ha ha! I got sick on it years ago and still can't even smell it ~ yes, it was that bad! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! : ) How did I know that it wasn't long before a post like this came along, Amanda! "You say potato, I say vodka." One of my favorite quotes! I wonder, if you put it in a spray bottle, could you clean your mirror and banish that bad mood at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I already knew about a few of them, but you know that vodka is used to make Vanilla extract. If you have a toothache soak a cotton ball and place it directly on the tooth. Talk about immediate relief.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Get me a martini - stat! With so many reasons to keep vodka in the house, we'll be being it by the gallons! Wonder if that's why Don Draper switched his drink??
    Thanks for stopping by The Buzz!
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha ha...I had no idea. Do you think Peach vodka can be substituted for all the above uses? Have a big bottle of that stuff - it's just not very good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, really? I use rubbing alcohol to clean my laptop, maybe I need to upgrade! XX!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great Vodka tips!! :-) Although it kinda makes you wonder what it does to your insides, seeing as it can clean moldy showers and remove ink stains!! ;-)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  14. I knew vodka was nectar from the Gods....I love everything about this post, now off to fix myself a bloody mary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I knew about #5, but the rest are great new headliners for me! Raise a glass to that :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay but isn't that an expensive way to clean the house? I'd rather drink it personally :)
    Cute post Amanda, it's you!
    xo
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I didn't know even half of these ways to use Vodka, I love it!! Such a creative post :)
    Nancy xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha, drinking and cleaning ! Sounds like a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, Amanda darling, you've just made my day. Too funny. xx's

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amanda! I am laughing hysterically at this post! How FABULOUS! Your many uses of vodka remind me of the Windex cure-all from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"! Fixes whatever ails ya! HA! I think I will need to keep vodka handy in every room! A splash in the laundry, a chug for me.... a dollop for the plants, another chug for me.... shine up the bathroom, three chugs for me.... And by the time the house and all of it contents are all fixed up, I will be dancing in the streets! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had NO idea vodka was so helpful! Have a great week, Amanda. xx

    ReplyDelete