Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Style-Does your home reflect who you really are?

How well do you know yourself? Do you know what the elements of your style are? How exactly does one find or create ?
Your home is a snap shot of who you are. A reflection of your personality, your likes and dislikes. Does your home really show you off? Often times when I go to a potential clients home it is like stepping into a 20 year time capsule of their life cycles instead of their life STYLE. Strolling through an ill assorted casket of treasures from the cherished to the unknown. I find it funny how so many of us "hang on" to something from when we were "in college", "first married", or "just because". And we are ALL culprits of this mentality. We ALL do it. But does it really show us off? Show the unique, extraordinary individuals that we are?
Our homes are our havens. Our refuge. A place to come home to after a long day of work, or a place to work from. It is by far THE largest investment that we make in our life times. Our homes bring us peace, security, comfort, and they support us through all our moods. Our homes see the best and the worst of us. They verifiably see and breathe our authentic selves. The old saying of "if these walls could talk" is truest to life. So why is it we allow ourselves to live in life cycles rather than a life STYLE?
www.omniartedesign.co


(This is a Travel Trailer)

So often consumers want to rush out and BUY as much as possible-ALL AT ONCE! The idea of instant gratification. This is not a lifeSTYLE. This is making a lot of unwise buying choices all at once, and one of two things will happen. 1) You hang onto it for 20 years (for reasons yet to be understood) or 2) After a few years you realize the choices were made in haste, you hate everything, and all those dollars are thrown down the drain, and you start the life cycle over again by running out and making more unwise purchasing decisions. ~insert hiring a Professional Interior Designer here~

Creating a lifeSTYLE isn't as perplexing as Martha Stewart's inability to age. It is about making wise purchasing decisions, and having a plan. (Don't know where to start? Try reading my post on Designing a Room, where to start. )A lifeSTYLE is all about living your best life. Living amongst things that bring you the most joy. Is that inexpensive Ashley sofa really bringing you joy? Or was it appropriate for that particular life cycle two years ago?

You want your home to be a genuine representation of who you ARE, not who you have been or were 20 years ago. Your home should bring a smile to your face and give you undeniable bliss. Don't allow it to become a junkyard of days past that may have been difficult. Our lives are complicated enough. We need to be surrounded by things that are pleasant and agreeable. Things that bring us pleasure whether they be simple or complex. When you live in a life that surrounds you and supports WHO YOU ARE, you become even better. You perform at your best and become your best. This is a lifeSTYLE


So the next time you want to rush out and make a quick buy to update your room ask yourself these questions:
1) Is this a part of my plan?
2) Do I LOVE it? Does it bring me joy?
3) Am I looking at the object or am I looking at the price? (If you are looking at the price you are being sucked into your pattern of life cycle. This will only add to the junk yard casket of treasures)
4) Does this fit my lifestyle? My personality? Does this add to living my best life?

We can all use a little less stuff in our lives and add a little more 
STYLE!

29 comments:

  1. i always like your posts and totally agree. a few years ago, before i bought my house, i bought a lot of brand new furniture, and my style has totally changed now! i'm working on replacing things now, but it's hard to be patient because i like to makeover old pieces, and you have to look diligently. still, it's been fun, and i'm glad i'm at this point because it's helping me to further define my style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Amanda! I really think about items before I purchase them now. Having a dumpster on your driveway for a few months and filled with a bunch of stuff from your attic and closets will do that for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last picture scared me a little....

    It is challenging though when you have very little money and an entire house to furnish because you were fools and ran off in a fifthwheel after selling everything you owned.

    You need SOMETHING to sit on. I mean, you can sleep on your one and only asset - the mattress.
    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing wrong with running off in a fifth wheel! Just make sure you have a plan and and idea of where you are going so each piece you purchase has some thought behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a timely post as I am in the midst of purging items long hidden in closets. Guilty of I can't get rid of it "because"....but no more! I have given myself permission to rid the house of clutter even if it means giving away items that were given as gifts. If we didn't like it then, sitting in the closet isn't going to make us like it any better. True? :D

    Thanks for visiting and your cute story about "Bob"!
    Jane T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so agree that our home is a reflection of who we are and what type of lifestyle we lead. I think it takes time and professional help to figure it all out and to do it in a way that will give you a satisfying and timeless result.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the images in this post! Gorgeous, and you are right our home is our haven and we should take pride in all that we do!! Thanks for visiting my blog, your blog is absolutely beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent post! What you've written here is so true. Your home becomes so much more special and personal when you take the time to find your style -- instead of copying what others do! Great advice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post. And what I love most about rooms is where there's treasures from different places and different times. It really shows more about a person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the way you inserted STYLE in there!! Very cool, great post Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Insightful post.

    I think the buy things all at once description accurately describes my in-law's house. The bad thing is that they continue to try to add things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a helpful post. My home enviroment and comfort is very important to me. It really does affect my psyche. A room with high ceilings and lots of light, gives me a sense of freedom and room to 'breath' so to speak. However, one wrong picture on the wall or a colour scheme that just doesn't work - leaves me unsettled. I have to put it right! Thanks for the great links.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are so right- i impulsively buy so many items. luckily it is usually pillows and lighting- which i usually re-gift to others! But I think many other people are too afraid to define their new style and make decisions- probably why they stick with the old stuff for so long....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the therapy Dr.Burdge, I needed that ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think my home gives somewhat of an indicator into what my style is. I love color, texture, and classic/modern looks. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier! I could not agree with you more that a home should reflect who you are and unfortunately, I've been in many homes that weren't a refection on the homeowner/s. Gret post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So true! And having just gone Spring clothes shopping this evening, I can tell you that the exact same questions could and should apply to one's wardrobe as well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Completely agree with everything here! I believe authenticity is KEY if we want to feel happy and comfortable in our own homes. And I love how you illustrate the word STYLE in color. So playful and colorful, like our relationship to STYLE should be. :) Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving a note!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Because we've been slowly renovating our house since we moved in, so much of our stuff is sored away in our attic... while I have many loved treasures up there, though, I also have lots of crap. I really need to pull down those boxes one and a time and purge what I don't need or love!! The things I do have - whether they're up in the attic or stationed around the house - are items that I've collected over time. I still have more to collect, which is sooo much fun!!

    Thanks Amanda for dropping by DesignTies the other day and commenting so positively on my home-staging post & project... the support of readers like you is so very much appreciated!!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  20. Style, you have either got it or you don't! I think Chanel had tons of it!
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a great post...so true. Since I do shows in my house,I don't have a lot left (that's visible) of my "own" stuff. But, I can certainly relate to making decisions based solely on the price of something rather than holding off for the best piece. BTW, thanks for stopping by.
    marcie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh, I love your blog, and your designer's insight is excellent! My house decor never stops evolving, so I think there's a lot of truth to what you're saying. I'm so glad you came across my blog, so I could be introduced to yours. I am a new follower! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very well said. I think a huge problem is that "style" and the looks I like change faster than my budget. It doesn't help that I tend to catch the tail end of a trend (pine furniture? gold faucets?) and so I'm playing catch-up before I've begun.
    I love your imagery of the "junkyard of days past" !

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your blog so much, and I totally agree with you! I don't have a house or even an apartment yet, but I hope that when I do, it will be a home instead of just a place to live in.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, as always really a nice blog on interiors designs, i think paintings play a vital role in vibrant interiors. so i usually prefer good art work from various artists available online at wahooart.com which i choose according to clients color choice and his taste in art

    ReplyDelete
  26. fatty liver vit e fatty liver vit e fatty liver vit e

    My homepage: natural remedy fatty liver disease

    ReplyDelete
  27. Enjoy your blog, looking forward to using some of your ideas in my home.

    ReplyDelete